Ironwood Tree

Monday, April 21, 2008

Macbook beep

I bought a Macbook about a year ago and I really like it. I run Vmware Fusion on it so though I prefer OS X, I can use things that require XP as well or run various linux versions. It's my plastic friend who's fun to be with.

So, I was was getting irritated by a faint beep that sounded like it was from the motherboard. I hit Google and it looked like bad news - dead hard drive. I backed it up, and started going through my warrenty info, but I just didn't see the performance drop you usually get with a bad drive.

I found a few posts that mentioned that some updates can mess up the speaker. They recommended updating the machine. I had Leopard and just hadn't gotten around to loading it. I loaded it - it was a very easy upgrade. The beep was still there. I then chose software update from the Apple menu and after those updates were applied, the beep was gone.

So, if you have a strange beep, first back everything up and then update. If it still beeps, take it in for service.

1 Comments:

  • Bothersome little noise, isn't it. My 10-month old MacBook just started beeping yesterday (coincidentally) after an Apple software update. Please post if you find any potential fixes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home